SOUTHERN FRIED OKRA
Southern Fried Okra
- 1 lb fresh okra, cut into ¾ −1 inch pieces (Remove okra stem about ¼ inch from the body of the okra )
- 2 cups cornmeal
- 1 egg
- 2 cups buttermilk
- salt and pepper
- Vegetable oil for frying (I like about 1/3 of the oil to be olive oil)
- In a large bowl beat egg with a fork, pour in buttermilk and mix well. Place the cornmeal in another bowl.
- Pour enough oil in a large deep skillet, or a deep fryer. Set heat to 350℉.
- Dip okra pieces in the buttermilk mixture and then dip to coat in the cornmeal. Do not over coat with cornmeal,
so a little green shows.
- Fry for 10 – 15 minutes, occasionally turning them over to cook evenly and are crispy and golden brown.
- Drain on paper towel lined plate. Sprinkle with salt and pepper (i don’t use pepper but some people prefer it).
- Repeat with rest of okra until all are fried to a golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels and serve.