- Slice French bread on an angle, brush with olive oil, and toast lightly. Be careful as it takes very little time to go from toast to charcoal.
- Let cool completely.
- Meanwhile prepare a large wooden cutting board with three kinds of cheese: something soft like brie or goat, something smoked like gouda or cheddar, and something sharp and aged.
- Arrange slices of prosciutto, a hard salami or pepperoni, and a seafood item like smoked mussels or fresh gravlax.
- Between the meats and cheese, artfully place small bunches of three to five grapes of different colors, fresh berries, and melon.
- Be careful that the fruits aren’t too drippy or their flavor will end up on everything—save that issue by placing any wet fruits in dishes.