Lulu’s macaroni and cheese
- Cook one pound of pasta (small shells, rotini, or elbows work best) according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, melt a stick of butter (4 ounces or eight tablespoons) in a one-quart pot over medium heat.
- Add one teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon black pepper.
- Whisk in ½ cup unbleached white flour.
- Cook for a minute, whisking constantly.
- Slowing pour in one quart of cream or half & half or whole milk (depending on how extravagant you are feeling), whisking constantly until the texture becomes thin.
- Continue cooking and whisking every thirty seconds or so, being sure to catch the bottom of the pot, until the sauce becomes thickened.
- Remove from the heat.
- In a large casserole dish, apply a thin layer of the sauce to the bottom of the pan.
- Layer then with 1/3 of the pasta, 1/3 of the remaining sauce, and ½ a pound of shredded sharp cheddar cheese.
- Repeat with the remaining pasta, sauce and cheese.
- On the top layer, use the remaining cheese to form a final layer that covers all the pasta completely.
- Bake at 375 for thirty minutes or until the top is very well browned and bubbly.