Grandma Marlene’s Pecan Pie
- Use your favorite pastry recipe or purchase a bottom crust.
- Spray oil lightly into a 9 inch pie pan, preferably Pyrex.
- Lay the crust in the pan gently.
- Prick the bottom and the sides with a salad fork and flute the edge.
- Chill 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt six tablespoons or ¾ stick of salted butter in a small saucepan.
- Add 1 ¼ cups light brown sugar and whisk until smooth.
- Remove from heat and add ¾ cup light corn syrup, whisking.
- Add ½ teaspoon orange zest or orange juice and 2 teaspoons vanilla.
- Whisk in 3 large eggs.
- Place ½ pound pecan halves in the pie crust, decoratively.
- Pour mixture gently over pecans, which will float to the top.
- Bake at 350 on a baking sheet for 50 minutes until set.
- Cool and then chill over night and serve with freshly whipped heavy cream (2 cups), flavored with a tablespoon of vanilla and 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar.