PUEBLO DE NAVIDAD
Grandpa Jeff’s Prime rib with creamed spinach
- Purchase a four-rib ten-pound prime rib cut.
- Score the meat all over with one-inch deep cuts.
- Rub all over with kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper.
- Heat ¼ cup olive oil in a large pan on medium-high heat.
- Cook the roast, meat side down, for ten minutes.
- Add to the pan ½ stick of butter (4 tablespoons), a small bunch of thyme, and two whole bulbs of garlic, with the cut in half lengthwise.
- Continue cooking for five minutes, basting the whole roast with the butter mixture.
- Place in a roasting pan, bone side down and rub garlic and herbs over the roast.
- Baste every half hour for 3 ½ hours at 325 or until the center of the meat reads 125 degrees with an instant-read thermometer. Let rest for fifteen minutes and carve.
- Serve with horseradish whisked with sour cream and fresh sage.
- ½ hour before the roast is finished, make the spinach.
- Finely mince three shallots or one small white onion.
- Sauté in two tablespoons butter until clear.
- Add ¼ teaspoon salt and a few grinds of black pepper.
- Whisk in 2 tablespoons flour.
- Slowly whisk in ¼ cup heavy cream.
- Allow to thicken, whisking frequently.
- Add 1 pound baby spinach, stirring constantly until the spinach has wilted into the sauce.
- Salt and pepper to taste.